Monday, October 14, 2024

trim the top and start on the fretboard

 Took the top out of the clamps and proceeded to sand the overhang back to the body.  Also sanded a couple dings on the top, that Western Red Cedar is stiff but has a soft surface.


Then it was time to lay out the fretboard across a nut stand-in, and the bridge.  I took a number of measurements and then it was time to cut.  This was a picky operation as it needs to fit tight to the neck but also extend over the top plate of the body for a bit.



Some hand sanding on the bottom of the "ledge".  I did this on the edge of the table saw.  This gave a nice flat surface and a good 90 degree angle to hold things in alignment.


I needed to cleanup the end of the head plate towards the nut.  It was straight but not quite perpendicular.  Got it squared up with an exacto and a chisel.  My design requires a 1/2" piece of maple on the headstock side of the nut so I cut and fitted that.  The fretboard will be maple to match.  Nothing glued up today, I have a bunch of work to do on the fretboard still.  The neck will have to be thinned down a bunch too now that I have a fretboard thickness.




Starting to see the end of the tunnel!

Brian

No comments: