Wednesday, October 16, 2024

New saw blade, jig work for the fretting to come soon

 My new, thin kerf (1/16"), saw blade arrived today.  This got used today to notch my new jig for 15" scale fretboards and will get used on the fretboard for some inlay.


I used a new insert to allow for a zero clearance fit.  It's 1/8" fiberboard cut to fit.  Then just start the saw and raise the blade to appropriate height for your cut.  No big gaps at the sides of the blade and the work piece is supported giving cleaner cuts.



Here is the fret pattern jig with the new slots cut.  I cut this from the back side of the table so I could get good alignment without leaning over the blade to get things lined up.  In use, the pattern will sit on top of the back side of the fretboard.  This will put the front face down on the table saw to cut the grooves.  The jig and fretboard will be held together with double sided tape, then I can just align the slots with the pin you see in the second photo and cut a slot.  Move to the next mark and cut another slot.



I noted yesterday that since the fretboard is slightly wedge shaped that I'd need to use the opposite cutoff to give me a flat (parallel to the table) surface to attach the jig.  I cut it off today and it looks like it'll work.



I haven't cut the fret slots yet.  I'm still thinking about the process order for the steps I need to take to complete the fretboard.  They include cutting fret slots, inlay slots, and then tapering the fretboard.

Brian

No comments: