Sunday, October 06, 2024

glue the top braces

 First up before I forget I signed, dated, numbered the back plate.


Then I cleaned up the sound hole brace or patch.  I used the Dremel with a small sanding wheel.


I cut the sound hole into the top.  I used masking tape front and back to help control any tear out.  Did some light sanding of the edge, then glued the brace/patch into place.  I put the top plate onto the radius dish to allow for the slight 25 foot radius curvature.  Then I glued and clamped the ring using the go-bar deck with fiberglass rods for clamping pressure.


Note how I put the sides in before clamping.  This allowed me to position the rest of the bracing accurately without the sides glued into place yet.  I think I used every rod I had!


When the glue is dry it will be time to carve those braces to lose some unnecessary bulk and weight.  They'll also look a lot better.  Funny how I want them to look good when the only way to see them will be putting a mirror or camera down through the sound hole.  But, it's one of those OCD things and the conviction that if I'm going to do this luthery thing then I want to do it "right" as much as possible and be proud of my builds.

Brian

No comments: