Wednesday, October 09, 2024

brace carving complete, time to glue the back on

 I didn't post yesterday but I carved most of the braces.  Here are some pics.  

First pic is showing how the bridge will be supported by the braces (but obviously on the outside).



Next pic didn't get focused correctly but maybe you can see how the straight edge reveals about a 1/8" gap on each end due to the curved radius top.  This is hemispherical so round like a ball in all directions.

Started carving in the center.  Tapering from the sides and reducing the height.

The ends sticking out all get tapered and reduced.  This is kind of by gut feel.  You want to reduce the mass to help it vibrate but also stiff enough to maintain it's shape and not collapse.


Here's my best guess right now.  I can still take off more up until I glued it onto the body.  Occasionally during carving I pick it up by a corner and tap on the top in various places.  You can start to get a feel for how responsive it is... hopefully.  If it sounds dull, might need to remove more.

I trimmed the top a little closer to the line and marked the top and body on the outside to help align it when it comes time for glue.  I also wanted to make sure the sound hole is lining up with the neck.

And finally, I glued the back into place.  I'm doing the back first since it will be visible through the sound hole and glue cleanup will be easier.  I think I'll give the interior a single coat of finish before I button up the top.  Note, the back book match didn't pull together tight enough when I re-glued it (noted in an earlier blog) so I'll need to make a jig to allow me to route a 1/8" slot up the joint to install a "zipper".

It's getting there slowly but surely.

Brian

No comments: