Wednesday, September 25, 2024

sides cleanup, inside and out




 Headed out to the shop today to address the glued up body.



StrumMn!

The magic happens upstairs.


Un-clamped everything and there was a mess of glue.  I should have wiped up the drips but with all the clamps I was just feeling done.  I went to work with a hand chisel to remove the excess glue.  I also tried using my spindle sander.  I have decided I do NOT like the Gorilla brand wood glue.  It just seemed rubbery and was difficult to remove, unlike Titebond.  I think I'll buy another bottle of "the good stuff" before doing any more instrument gluing.

I did do a lot of sanding as well.  This has been money well spent.


I ended up just using a card scraper for over an hour to clean up the interior and exterior surfaces.  For those that don't know a card scraper is a piece of thin steel, maybe 1/16" but about 3"x5" rectangle.  You file the edges to create a burr and then use a burnishing rod or screwdriver shaft to turn the burr.  You then scrape the wood with the burr on the edge.  It can actually give a better surface than sandpaper.  On these curved surfaces though it was a workout to both hold the workpiece and scrape.

I next laid out the neck and headstock side profile and made the initial rough cuts.  I'll work on cleaning those up in my next work session.  There are layout lines but they're tough to see.



It's starting to look like something!
Brian

No comments: