Wednesday, September 18, 2024

fretboard design layout

 Spent some time today in Microsoft Visio.  I've been using it since before 2000, which is before Microsoft gobbled them up and tied it into all their Office products.  This made it more useful?  It also bloated it in my opinion.  The red lines are "cut lines" while the black represent the strings.  Basically I layout the 2"x7.5" 12 fret fretboard, extend it to full scale length of 15".  Then I add hash marks at the nut for string spacing, hash marks at 7.5" (12th fret) for fretboard width and string spacing again, and the lines get extended to the bridge to get that spacing correct.  Note that I've got 2 G strings 1/8" apart at the left, also 1/8" from the outside strings to the edges of the fretboard.  On this fretboard I intend to do a line of inlay midway between strings (not between the octave G's, of course) which explains the extra red lines.

FYI, in the past I used Visio to design entire uke body shapes for both soprano and tenor, getting the curves that I wanted, rather than copying someone else shape explicitly.  I started with upper and lower bout widths, waist width, and length of body.  Then I started playing with the curves and sound hole until I liked the looks.  These can be printed full size and transferred to the wood used for body side bending molds.




I also mixed up some Rock Hard Water Putty to fix my "oops" from yesterday.  Hopefully tomorrow I can sand it out and get back on track.  The scrap piece clamped to the side has a piece of masking tape to prevent "gluing" these together.  Hopefully I get a clean edge to work with, I can always do a second coat.

Brian




No comments: