Saturday, December 05, 2009

Uke building delayed...

I had another project that was a long time a'coming.

I had built several finger jointed cedar boxes several years ago. My youngest daughter got the prototype and the others were auctioned to benefit the Lupus Foundation through my oldest daughters sorority in college.

My oldest has been kiddingly asking where HER box was, and she wanted it to be octogon instead of just rectangular like the rest.

Well, I went nuts; I built a jig, bought some aromatic cedar, bought some new saw blades so I could get a deep enough dado and went to town.

I didn't get any "in progress" pics but here is the finished product with an oil finish on the outside (raw on the inside to get the full cedar effect) and some woodburning on the lid (the design is stolen from the Brighton store at the MOA, they did it in mosaic tile in the store entrance).

Back to uke finishing next.



No comments: