Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Recap and uke news

We had a good turnout on Apr 1st and I hope everyone had fun! We ran through some blues lessons and played a bunch of songs.

Here's those I remember: Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, April Showers, Aloha Oe, Take Me Out To The Ball Game, When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, My Wild Irish Rose, Sloop John B, Somebody Stole My Gal, All Of Me. I think that's all that we passed out, there were others where we just gathered around a coule copies to play.

Last night I saw a new Coke commercial on TV and they where playing/singing What'll I Do, this is an Irving Berlin tune that I passed out in the February meeting I think. It's available in the Irving Berlin uke book available for $6.95 at UkuleleWorld.com. It's a good book and costs the same as one set of good strings.

Speaking of strings. A common question is which are good. Common internet concensus is that Worth and Aquila are the top brands and I agree from personal use. I haven't found either brand available in the Twin Cities but ukuleleworld.com handles both and are great to work with. Keep asking for these locally, maybe some music store will get a clue and start stocking them!

Pick a couple songs for next meeting (date TBD) and email me a link, I'll collect them and publish a list here so we can all print copies and practice ahead of time.
We also want to generate a list of songs we can practice for a nursing home gig in the future, pick a couple favorites and let me know!

Keep StrumMn!
Brian

No comments: